In that pinnacle of truth and credibility, the News of the World, Arsenal's Samir Nasri opens his heart and mind. The transfer rumours surrounding him this Silly season has rivalled that of Cesc Fàbregas' - but only just.
The NOTW being a website for subscribers only, I've looked at the quotes reported by the Press Association instead. (I won't pay Rupert Murdoch anything if I can avoid it.)
About a month ago I wrote in this blog about Nasri's answers being part of the ongoing negotiations with Arsenal. After all, he was signed for being smart, not just very good at football.
Nasri knows that his position is strong, and he aims to get as good a deal as he can. And even though he may leave to get it, I still believe he'll try harder to get what he wants from Arsenal first. After all, the manager is on record stating a sale to Manchester United won't happen. His feelings towards Manchester City or Chelsea aren't likely to differ. So Nasri needs to decide, to go a) abroad, b) sign a new deal with Arsenal or c) not sign and threaten to leave for free in a year.
If Nasri goes for c), Arsenal and Arsène Wenger will face their tough choice. Nasri must either a) be allowed to stay on an expiring deal, with Wenger hoping to persuade him before the New Year, or b) be sold to a Premier League rival anyway.
Now let's read some of the quotes:
"Money has never been my motivation. [...] I don't want to sign for a club where I wouldn't be playing the football that I like, where I wouldn't feel happy, just for the sake of money."
The alternatives to Arsenal aren't many, then. (Who can imagine Nasri thrive while leading the line for Mancini's Manchester City away?)
"The priority is to make a big career and to win titles. This is more important than everything else. [...] With no titles under your belt, you can't be in the list for the Ballon D'Or. I came to England to get trophies because I haven't won anything in my career, apart from an U17 European Championship in 2004."
This is where Arsenal are vulnerable. Nasri knows perfectly well that titles aren't guaranteed anywhere, but also knows that Arsenal have missed out on titles because the squad hasn't been good enough. And of course he's ambitious, he's one of the world's best footballers, after all.
"We all need to get out of our comfort zone, to grow up and test ourselves. Even without winning trophies, I think I have grown up. I am hungry for titles."
That statement can be interpreted at least two ways. The obvious is that Nasri personally is willing to leave to win something. A strong position in the negotations, as we've already established.
The other interpretation is that Nasri urges the manager and the team to dare more, to invest more, to accept more competition for places in order to win.
The different media outlets on paper and on the web have just about ended speculating if Nasri will leave, only to whom and for how much. I beg to differ still. Several summers with Fabregas, Patrick Vieira and Thierry Henry have taught us Gooners to not take anything for granted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment