Permit me to return to the squad rules that come in to effect from next season. It's a piece of cake for Arsenal this year. This is how today's squad would fit the rules:
** "Home grown" over 21 at the start of the calendar year (oldest first), i.e. registered with an English or Welsh club for at least three years before turning 21.
Campbell, Senderos, Clichy, Gilbert, Fabregas, Djourou, Song, Simpson, Bendtner, Mannone, Denilson
= 11 players, rules state at least 8.
** Foreigners over 21 (oldest first)
Almunia, Gallas, Silvestre, Rosicky, Arshavin, Sagna, Eboue, Eduardo, van Persie, Fabianski, Vermaelen, Diaby, Nasri
= 13 players, rules states maximum 17.
That equals 24 players, and Marouane Chamakh will be the 25th as another foreigner, still well within the new Premier League quota.
However, any other _new_signing_ over the age of 21 will have to replace one of today's players. If a player is born in 1988 or before, he must be one of the 25!
I believe this is the as good a reason as the club economy for Arsène Wenger's reluctance to spend large even this summer.
When it comes to the players under 21, I can't help but think that Arsenal have an extraordinary set of players compared to the other league teams:
** Under 21 for 2010/11 season (a limitless number can be registered):
Walcott, Gibbs, Randall, Traoré, Vela and Botelho are all born in 1989. They will then all be "home grown" players, but over 21. This means that a total of six players from today's squad including these six will HAVE to leave Arsenal before August 2011...
Then there are 10 more born in 1990:
Ramsey, Hoyte, Eastmond, Lansbury, Murphy, Emmanuel-Thomas, Barazite, Merida, Nordtveit and Szczesny will prompt ten more to leave in total before August 2012.
This is what Wenger means when he reprimands the PFA for letting lots of members lose their jobs - with open eyes.
** Players born 1991 or later will whatever happens be "home-grown" from the 2012/13 season, this list is lifted from arsenal.com:
Henderson, Watt, Ayling, Bartley, Cruise, Sunu, Coquelin, Shea, Evina (all born 1991), Wilshere, Frimpong , Freeman, Boateng, Brislen-Hall, Meade, Miquel, Ozyakup (1992), Afobe, Aneke, Hajrovic and McDermott (1993).
Us Gooners can't expect to see all these players turn into first team players, of course. But most of these born in 1991 (and two from the 1992 vintage) have already made their first team debuts, even in the Champions League! And for each year, another bunch must be shipped out.
Food for thought if you got this far.
Monday, 10 May 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


They don't have to be shipped out, they can still play in the League and FA Cups I believe ...
ReplyDeleteHow do the rules affect the loaning out of players? If I were to look at it from a neutral's perspective I would say that these rules are good, and would increase the competitiveness of lower level teams.
ReplyDeleteThanks for comments. I've a hard time seeing the Arsenal keeping players for the domestic cups only. But I would imagine that loans should be alright - but I don't know for sure. Anyone else know?
ReplyDeleteAnd with a trimmed squad of 25 seniors, perhaps Arsenal will be less inclined to loan out the youngsters closest to the first team. Especially with out injury record.
I feel that most of those players aged 22 (or a little more) would probably be content with the League and FA Cups for a little while. I think it's necessary to remember that 22 is still quite young for a Premier League footballer, we're just used to them much younger at the Grove! Obviously the David Bentley and Nicolas Anelka's will throw their toys out of the pram, but if they're good enough at that age then I would presume they'd get first team football ... And we could really do without the prima donnas anyway.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I could see it meaning that a fair few will get their first dose of Premier League while under 21 at Arsenal, but may get the full on taste while out on loan between the ages of 22-25, before returning to the fold. I think that'd be good for us and for them! Means they don't have to learn (and make the inevitable mistakes due to inexperience) in front of 60,000 impatient fans, and means we get a fully fledged player when they return, or can sell them off for a tasty fee with their PL experience boosting prices a bit.
Good points, willluck. Whatever happens, I think the new rules will level the playing field. That will benefit Arsenal, IMHO.
ReplyDelete