Thursday, 24 November 2011

A January prediction in November

I won't claim that this blog never speculates on possible Arsenal transfers now and then. Even if my own main focus is criticising the wild abandon of journalistic principles in others, I can't manage to stay whiter than white myself.

But I usually base my guesses on the many transfer rumours circulating in what passes as the respected parts of British media. They, however, base their guesses on sources. Their own sources... or others'. Or what passes as sources. Sometimes I'm not really sure if that's any more reliable than just reading websites.

Today, the Daily Mirror report manager Arsène Wenger's 'plans for the January window'. Reports under John Cross' byline is respected more by many Gooners than the product of his colleagues. And perhaps it's his conclusion that draws me to recommend his piece. He doesn't think Wenger will sign anyone!

OK, there are names like Esteban Granero and Mario Götze mentioned, but for various reasons they are unlikely to come. Granero isn't wanted and Götze isn't for sale.

Instead, Arsenal's priority will be to tie down Robin van Persie and Theo Walcott on longer contracts. Which is, looking at the current XI and their form, the most important thing in the world.

If the two best attacking players in the squad were to end all of our doubts with their autographs, I wouldn't mind if there was no other good news in Arsenal's part of the transfer market. Well, except selling Sébastien Squillaci back to Spain, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment