“Their offer was nowhere near what we are looking for. It is very straightforward from our point of view. We have told them what we want and we are sticking to it...
“Barcelona are offering extra payments which are dependent on all sorts of fantastical things, but we are not interested in that. We want them to pay what he is worth.”
The paper suggests that the offer reached around £30m after Cesc Fábregas himself waived his share of the deal. Arsenal, however, is widely reported to value their captain at £40m. That's quite a leap.
The BBC, who very rarely publish transfer rumours under a reporter's byline, yesterday did just that. Dan Roan reported that this was in fact only the second bid Barcelona have made for Cesc this summer. He, too, puts Arsenal's demand at £40m.
“We do not think we are being at all unreasonable when you see the sort of prices players are being sold for, who are not even half as good as Cesc."
While Peter Hill-Wood spoke his mind in London, manager Arsène Wenger was fed up with the questions of Cesc in Lisbon last night. The captain didn't travel with the rest of the squad to play Benfica in tonight's friendly.
“I do not want to speak about the transfer of Fabregas because I have done that three years now in every press conference so I don't think there is any more need to add something.
“I love Fabregas and I want him to stay, that is basically it."
As discussed earlier in this blog, it's all down to the price this Silly Season. Everything suggests that if Barcelona cough up what Arsenal want, the deal will be done. And if a deal is done, it'll be because all three parties are happy with it.


No comments:
Post a Comment